Lyon Air Museum is excited to introduce a new program designed to inspire our younger visitors to explore flight, aerospace and other related STEM subjects. Aviation for Kids is designed for children in grades 3 and above. Our curriculum features hands-on learning and addresses a variety of engaging subjects, including:
• A bit of aviation history — How did humankind learn to build an airplane? Why were the Wright brothers successful when others had failed?
• The 4 fundamental forces of flight that affect every flying machine, whether an airplane, rocket, or drone. Kids will experience lift and drag on an airplane wing.
• The types of airplanes and their major components
• Fight control experience with an RC model plane
• Building and "test flying" a simple model glider, which your child will take home
• Flight path control and introduction to the flight deck (aircraft controls and flight instruments, including GPS)
• Aircraft checklists and flight planning
• Basic piloting — take-off, maneuvering, and landing — in the Museum’s dynamic flight simulator
• Aviation career opportunities